Sunday, May 24, 2020

It's in the numbers, playboy

Hey newspussies, I'm not trying to be a wise-ass here.. but what am I missing?
I keep seeing posts like this: "Actual survival rate for Covid in America is 99%, maybe if we looked at it this way we wouldn't panic."
My question for you, gang, is... where are these figures coming from? Because by my math, using the Johns Hopkins numbers...
Confirmed US cases = 1,6 mil
Recovered US cases = 376,000
Confirmed US deaths = 97,000
376,000 is 23% of 1.6 mil, making "survival rate" not 99.999%, but current survival rate is 23%
Current death rate is about 6.1 percent of 1.6 mil - even if you presume everyone else will recover. That's only a survival rate of 93.9%
And "survival" doesn't mean recovery anyway. There's a lot of people in left with long term illnesses and dangerous scenarios.
So... you can't count people who haven't got it yet in the "survival rate" because that's disingenuous. That's like saying I'll never get in a car accident because no one's hit me yet. So, I'm a car accident survivor. Or using numbers from Cancer.gov, about 163,500 people die of cancer in the US every year. That doesn't mean that the other 320,740,000 people in the US are cancer survivors.
Help an old pulpman out with these numbers...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home