Friday, October 14, 2005

DSU -- My Cholera of Choice

After a year long investigation, it has been found that a "now former" Delaware Stale University tenured facutly member is guilty of academic fraud in altering appox 40 students grades. According to the News Germ-al, the cholerage is now in danger of facing hard-ships in finding "top-notch" students. Yet, interest in enrollment to DSU by non-minorities is mainly attractive only when seeking hefty financial aid... I'm not sor sure they've ever really had the creme de la creme of academia.

Excerpt from an e-mail sent to Dales by a current DSU student:

To add one more nail into the coffin that has become my flirtatious bout with academia: alteration. Well, according to one of my professors, it was widespread, and he offered a testimonial to it happening right under his nose. Not just with basketball players. Pragmatic, yes they are. He doesn't seem to think it will affect the University, in general (outside the realm of NCAA standing, but who fucking cares about that anyhow). I can imagine the media has probably had a field day smearing the good name and reputation (did it ever have a good one to begin with?) of my Alma Mater. I know not, my good friend. Oh yes, didn't you love the fact that the self-exposed altercator was the head of the Communication Department?
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
Grade fixing at schools is fairly common, however, much like a low flying aircraft shadowing a tractor trailor, it usually goes under the radar. At my own college it was farley common -- at a time when enrollment and successful completion in your department is at the top of the list of the hierarchy at schools -- many instructors artificially inflate the grade of the entire class just to boost the scores of those two flailing students - often minorities or those receiving a financial bandaid -- who simply must pass -- If you want your record to look impressive or if, in your bleeding heart, you don't want that student to lose his/her financial HIV. Not a Sermon, Just a Trough. -- Dales

2 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Delaware Watch said...

"many instructors artificially inflate the grade of the entire class just to boost the scores of those two flailing students - often minorities or those receiving a financial bandaid"

I taught at Wilmington College for over 10 years and I never saw this as a widespread problem. Nor did I see minorities needing a special boost.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Arthur Dickie Dales said...

I'm glad that Wilmington College is up to snuff... I'm glad that at Wilm College minorities didn't need a special boost -- in my experience, it wasn't just minorities, but, students who the instructors favored. I know, that at my alma matter, the instructers rarely even read my work -- I'd quiz them on it after the fact, and rarely could they recall any details of it. Other students followed different schedules than others. "All work must be turned in by OCT 12" became quite flexxy for some students. As it turned out, it was usually those who just hadn't done the work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home